Deadline: Jan. 9, 2020
Police- 505 1st St SW Cedar Rapids, IA
PD- Sworn Staff- Officers, Commanders
Provides direct services in the enforcement of the law, maintenance of public order, control of traffic in City streets by the performance of surveillance, intervention, arrest, direction of emergency activities or a variety of related acts.
Works under the supervision of a Police Sergeant assigned to patrol, investigative, administrative and support services operation, activities and programs.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
· Patrols City streets;
· Responds to calls for police assistance or service;
· Directs traffic where needed;
· Provides emergency assistance to ill or injured citizens;
· Arrests law violators; testifies in judicial proceedings;
· Maintains custody of prisoners;
· Makes reports;
· Conducts initial investigation of alleged criminal conduct;
· Maintains order in crowds;
· Advises public on laws in force;
· Enforces traffic laws, issues citations where indicated;
· Investigates suspicious persons or activities;
· Records, stores, and is responsible for evidence for future court cases, and lost items that have been found and turned in by members of the general public;
· Attends roll-calls;
· Attends training sessions;
· Other duties as assigned;
· Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
· Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
· Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
· Performs related work as required.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
· Knowledge of the laws of the State, County, and City as applied and enforced in this jurisdiction;
· Knowledge of department regulations and procedures;
· Knowledge of proper police actions and responses in a variety of settings and situations;
· Knowledge of methods and techniques appropriately employed by police in a variety of circumstances;
· Job-specific knowledge of the City geography, persons and places with which the officer must deal on a daily basis;
· Skill in carrying out a variety of police procedures used in crowd control, traffic direction, arrest and detention, preservation of evidence, first aid to ill and injured, operating a motor vehicle in a variety of conditions, questioning suspects and witnesses, and others as developed through training and experience;
· Ability to operate the following equipment and tools: automobile, firearms, nightstick, handcuffs, two-way radio, emergency and first aid equipment and other police equipment;
· Ability to work under general supervision from field supervisor, but covers beat for patrol singly or with other officer; exercises considerable discretion and independent judgment in serious life situations within limits established by law and policy;
· Ability to operate a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
· Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
· Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
· Training and experience as prescribed by the Civil Service Commission.
Required Special Qualifications:
· U.S. citizen and resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon appointment;
· 18 years of age upon appointment;
· Valid Iowa Driver’s or Chauffer’s License upon appointment;
· Meets minimum hiring standards as outlined in Iowa Administrative Code-501.
To apply, click on the link below:
The City of Cedar Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer