Deadline: November 9
Job Summary and
Seeking dedicated, hard-working, team-oriented individuals to perform a wide range of
law enforcement and crime prevention duties for the safety and protection of life and
property in the Johnston community. Johnston Police Officers preserve peace, restore
order, and serve in the best interests of community safety; they regularly engage in
problem solving, community education/outreach and critical thinking; officers perform
investigative work in preparation of arrests and criminal prosecution.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and sixty (60) semester credit
hours from an accredited university or college as well as meeting all of the requirements
of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. Full-time military or law enforcement officer
experience may be substituted for college/university credits as follows: each one year
of full-time experience equates to 15 semester credit hours. ILEA certified candidates,
or equivalent out of state peace officer certification, may be given preference.
Go to www.cityofjohnston.com/employment to review the position description.
Interested applicants must create a profile with NEOGOV to apply for consideration. If
already registered at governmentjobs.com, interested persons may use that account for
the City of Johnston application process. Most job-related notifications, including
application status and other time-sensitive items or requests, will be sent via email.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Tentative Start Date: February 2019
Deadline to Apply: 4 p.m. Friday, November 9, 2018
Rate of Pay: Starting wage range $56,090 – $67,051 depending upon experience and qualifications
Benefits: Health, dental, life, paid holidays, uniform allowance, 7.39 hours of paid time off (PTO)
bi-weekly. The maximum accumulation of PTO is four hundred twenty (420) hours.
The City of Johnston participates in the IPERS retirement system.
• Applicants must be 21 years of age at time of hire
• Be a citizen of the United States
• Have no felony convictions or crimes involving moral turpitude; misdemeanor
convictions will be judged on a case-by-case basis
• Uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20,
normal color vision in each eye
• Normal hearing in each ear
• Be of good moral character
• Ability to clearly speak, read, write, and understand the English language
• Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol or show a history of recreational drug use
• Applicants must not object to the use of force in the line of duty
• Capable of working for extended periods outdoors in adverse weather,
unpleasant, or hazardous conditions
• Ability to push and pull greater than 50 pounds
• Ability to lift and carry 21-50 pounds
• Hold a valid Iowa driver’s license upon hire
• Not show a significant history of driving related infractions and be able to safely
operate an emergency response vehicle in hazardous conditions
• Successful candidates shall be required to reside within sixty (60) minutes
response time of the Public Safety Building within 180 days of hire
Post offer/pre-employment physical and drug testing required. Candidates must also
successfully pass a psychological examination (MMPI) and psychologist interview,
polygraph examination, and thorough background check prior to appointment.
Details of the supplemental testing process will be provided to candidates selected for
further consideration after the application deadline. An in-depth background, personal
and financial history investigation shall be conducted on all applicants that advance.
Finalists will also be vetted and ranked through a comprehensive practical skills
assessment in addition physical fitness testing and the written POST exam.
The City of Johnston is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The men and women of the Johnston Police Department are dedicated to ethical
conduct, driven by personal integrity, and committed to professional excellence.
The Department’s mission is to prevent disorder and protect human life, individual
rights, and personal property by providing comprehensive community-centered services.
Members are focused on policing for the community through proactive outreach and
positive police interactions that build partnerships to promote the safety of the City of Johnston